When I was pregnant I had a Mexican hot chocolate for the first time, I fell in love. Chocolate with spices!? I had to tell everyone. Everyone meaning my sister and my best friend. HAVE Y’ALL HEARD OF THIS WARM MIRACLE DRINK BEFORE!? I was hooked. I love when food gets creative. When you are eating/drinking something traditional and get a hint of something odd and it makes you think, makes you wonder why it wasnt always made THIS particular way for all eternity.
So, speaking of cravings… When it’s that time of the month for me, it’s a mix of sweet and salty that I am needing… On top of the usual chocolate and all things bad. Go figure. It is also my Father-in-laws birthday this week and he likes spicy foods. In lieu of skipping the gym on Tuesday, ok… Monday AND Tuesday, for reasons mentioned above why not bake all the unhealthy things??
My Father-in-laws favorite cookie is oatmeal chocolate chip. I had the batter perfectly made and at the last second, decided to add in cocoa powder and all the hot spices and see what came of it.
Glory. Glory came of it. Well, the batter was incredible… after it baked it wasnt quite right, in that I couldn’t taste the spices as strongly and I knew where I needed to improve it. Round 2 came about yesterday and I altered a little too much and got the dreaded pancake cookies. Y’all, I wanted to cry because the batter tasted even better than the first but I didn’t chill my batter and used the wrong butter and sugar. (FYI if a recipe calls for brown sugar, use the damn brown sugar. Also, don’t use Kerry Gold butter in baking) Laugh at my mistake below. Go ahead, I’m giving you full permission.
The kicker is, even though I was annoyed… I still ate the damn pancake cookies off the tray with a spoon…. Okay, okay…. with my fingers. Not kidding, this batter is killer. So, I am selling myself out. I am not the worlds best baker, its obvious. I don’t have the patience, however… I do know flavor. For the life of me, I hate bland foods. So with a little trial and error, I eventually figured it out. I took a few different recipes and blended it together to my liking, some MHCC only have 1 or 2 spices, this wasnt good enough for me. The other recipes dont have oatmeal, I was wanting extra texture… because life is too short people. My tips for the worlds best cookies are below.
Any great baker will tell you, bring all your liquids to room temp. I will tell you, do the above but it’s ok to cheat. Honestly, who remembers to let these things sit out for hours ahead of time?? Besides Martha damn Stewart.
Cheat Code For Lazy Folk
- Put buttah in a microwave safe dish, chop into cubes, heat in 15 second waves until room temperature
- Cold eggs – Hot tap water in a bowl or cup, place eggs in warm bath… Lush bath bomb optional (kidding, don’t be stupid)
(Authors Note : Dont get all healthy on me, use what this recipe calls for, kale me crazy… but it’ll be worth it)
- 1 stick of buttah
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup of dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of chipolte chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Spray your cookie sheet, try not to salvate.
- Cream together your butter and sugar with your mixer, until light and fluffy. Add in your eggs and your vanilla. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl (boo dishes) add in your flour, oats, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chipotle chili powder, cayenne, baking soda and salt. Mix, mix, mix yo.
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet, mix only until combined, or the baking Gods will strike you with lightning. Gently fold in your chocolate chips. Cover your bowl and chill in the fridge for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a small cookie scoop to place the cookies on your sheet. Place 1 1/2 – 2 inches apart. This should make 2 dozen, if you are a hot mess like myself, you might not get a full two dozen. It is what it is, I don’t fight it anymore.
- Baking time may vary. Something I wish Pinterest would acknowledge, we all don’t have the same ovens or climates dagnabit. 9-12 minutes. These were done in about 9-10. WATCH these suckers. Theres nothing worse than a dry ass cookie. Except for a pancake cookie.
- Let cool on pan for a couple of minutes, transfer to a cooling rack.
These honestly, taste like a warm magnificent spiced brownie. I don’t know about y’all, but the perfect cookie for me is still soft on the inside and slightly gooey. YAAAS LORDT. Would be extra fantastical along side milk or coffee. Tell your friends, tell your wives. Post your results and thoughts on Instagram #BearfootMamaBanshee and follow me @leahnaomiii!!! Would love to hear what y’all think. Also, sweet drink coasters in the header can be found in my Etsy Shop. This set says Vino, Brew, Java & Agua.